Marv Schumacher Heads Capital Campaign for New Veterans Facility
The Waverly Area Veterans Post, established in 2009, is in the final phase of its capital campaign to construct a new Veterans Center in Waverly Iowa to serve over 1,700 Bremer County Veterans and their families. Under the dynamic leadership of Marv Schumacher, President of Schumacher Elevator, a third generation, world-wide company, as well as the capital campaign cabinet composed of business and community leaders, the group is working to raise the final $195,000 of $3.6M Capital Campaign for a new veteran facility that will bring American Legion, AMVETS Post 79, Marine Corps League and VFW Post 2208 together under one roof.
"This project honors the veterans of yesterday, today, and tomorrow. It celebrates the sacrifices of those who served in past conflicts, those serving today, and those whose duty awaits them," commented Schumacher. Schumacher has given generously of his time, talents and philanthropic dollars in other fundraising capacities in the Waterloo, Waverly and Denver area. More than 830 business and community leaders and area citizens have contributed to the $3.4M raised to date. "We have an exciting opportunity to support our area heroes who rely on the services of Veterans organizations. This is a transformational project for our community," adds Schumacher.
The campaign committee is preparing to share details of the campaign with community members through a comprehensive case statement and frequently asked questions document.
Many veterans deal with homelessness, inability to get jobs and mental health issues. The new facility will be the home to programs and services that address these issues by:
- Assisting with research and applying for benefits
- Identifying opportunities for continuing education
- Helping Veterans pursue careers upon completion of service including help with job placement references
- Providing a comradeship and understanding of the conditions frequently experienced by Veterans and their families
The main floor of the WAVP Veterans Center will provide:
- Conference rooms for meetings, education programs and consultations
- A technology center capable for worldwide linkage for military personnel and their families
- A lounge with a kitchen, eating area and bar
- An office area for each post and the facility director along with storage space
- An armory that will safeguard the ceremonial weapons and munitions displayed during parades, celebrations and military funeral rites
Additionally, the upper floor will provide a reception area to display the memorabilia of generations of area veterans and features a banquet hall for use by veteran sponsored activities including family weddings, special celebrations, and funeral receptions.
The site overlooks the Cedar River and offers a quiet, tranquil setting for personal reflection.