Our Mission: To create a Veterans Center for those who serve
The Waverly Area Veterans Post brings together the four veterans organizations in the City of Waverly, Iowa:
One Alliance with Four Posts — each Post charter remaining intact.
Necessity: The flood waters of 2008 destroyed one of the three veteran facilities in Waverly, seriously damaged a second, and the third building (the VFW) has outlived its useful life.
Location: The current VFW site in northwest Waverly, overlooking the Cedar River.
One Point of Contact: The new welcoming service facility will become the contact point to address the needs of all veterans, active and inactive, and their families.
A Unique Project: To our knowledge, the Waverly Area Veterans Post is the first attempt to bring four separate veterans organizations together under one roof in the state of Iowa and has already become a working model for other communities.
Veterans Center Amenities:
♦ Communications & Career Development Services Center
- Internet and video Skype for families to connect with service members
- Access for Veterans to research and apply for benefits
- Access to pursue career opportunities upon completion of active service
- Opportunities for Veterans to continue their education
- An Information Center and Library of Veteran publications
♦ Contact Point and Counseling
- A place to get timely information for service members and families
- A safe place to gather and communicate with those who care
- A special place for camaraderie with the veterans of yesterday, today and the future
- A spirit of collaboration with other community providers which offer veteran services
♦ Fully Accessible Facility
- Designed and built with green energy standards in mind
- Monthly Meeting space for Veterans, Auxiliary and Sons of Veterans
- Funerals with full military rites and post-funeral receptions
- Pre and post-deployment gatherings
- Family gatherings and celebrations
- Civic celebrations on Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, and Veterans Day
- Post membership and Auxiliary fundraisers and special projects
- District and State meetings and conferences
- Museum - to preserve memorabilia honoring our Veterans' sacrifices
- Armory - safe storage of weapons arsenal for military rites, parades and special events
- Storage - Avenue of the Saints flags, poles, name plaques and uniforms
- A fully functional kitchen
- Socialization with other Veterans and kindred Veteran organizations